By Sig Demling
One could not even dignify him with the name of stuffed shirt. He was simply a hole in the air. GEORGE ORWELL (1903-1950). English novelist and essayist, on Britain's Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin
You can do one of two things with the above quote:
1. Substitute the name Barack Obama for the "He."
2. Re-write -- and update -- the quote to read, "Obama is simply a pain in Israel's tooches."
Either way, while the American president's upcoming visit to the Holy Land is being lauded in some Jerusalem leftist circles as the second coming of a Messiah, the reality is otherwise.
Change Messiah to simply read Mess.
The say-everything-do-nothing president will deliver to Israelis nothing more than applesauce although more candid observers might go so far as to call it bullshit.
Really, what's he going to tell Benjamin Netanyahu that the Prime Minister really wants to hear? Nada. Or, if you prefer a word from the Old Country, gournished.
* SYRIA: These days it's difficult to discern which side is more of a threat to Israel, the wobbly Assad government or the rowdy rebels which are peopled with more Israeli-haters than the Damascus government ever produced.
Either way, you can bet your bottom matzoh that Obama will do less than nothing more than walk the fence on the Syrian issue. Don't even think that he'll do anything tangible -- how about this for a Navy Seals rescue operation -- to support the kidnapped United Nations truce team.
* EGYPT: Ever since Uncle Sam's chief executive tossed Hosni Mubarak under the Cairo bus, the political engine from Alexandria to the Aswan High Dam has done a tail spin into chaos beyond redemption. With his well-concealed love of the Muslims, Obama will continue to support the horrendously anti-semitic Muslim Brotherhood while the MB's continue raking in America's billions. Ergo; another strike three on the Pennsylvania Avenue diamond.
* IRAN: The White House will treat Tehran's nuclear ambitions as if the ayatollahs are playing with a five-buck Gilbert chemistry set instead of being hellbent on producing a bomb dedicated to killing as many millions of Jews as possible. Obama will chirp about the need for patience so that the unworkable sanctions can work. If there were an award for High-End Bullshitting, the dancing president would get it for his handling of Iran.
`* PEACE TALKS: Already we're being told that the only way Israel can gain security is by submitting to peace talks with the Palestinians. But at his most recent meeting with hand-picked Jewish leaders, Obama was told by Rabbi Marvin Hier of the Simon Wiesenthal Institute that as long as Hamas and the Palestinian Authority are oceans apart, any peace talks will have the substance of cotton candy. And, furthermore, anyone with a dose of reality knows that peace with the West Bank fakers or -- worse -- Hamas will do nothing to secure Israel from Iranian threats.
Not surprisingly, Bibi won't beat around the bush. He'll tell Obama that it's useless to put up with the Iranian stall.
" Diplomacy has not worked," the Prime Minister correctly declares. "Iran ignores all these offers. It is running out the clock. It has used negotiations to buy time to press ahead with its nuclear program. The sanctions have not stopped the nuclear program either. Iran enriches more and more uranium. It installs faster and faster centrifuges."
You can bet that Obama will try to force Netanyahu to erase the red line Bibi drew at the United Nations last September. The president knows that Iran is getting closer to that line but he lacks the guts to challenge the mullahs head on and demand that they halt their nuclear enterprise under threat of military force. Netanyahu has the answer -- a military attack.
"Sanctions must be coupled with a clear and credible military threat if diplomacy and sanctions fail," the PM insists. "Israel must always be able to defend itself by itself against any threat to its existence. The Jewish people know the cost of being defenseless against those who would exterminate us. We will never let that happen again."
I'm sorry to say but the political reality is that Obama will not deliver; Israel will have to take military action against Iran alone!
The only ones to benefit from Obama's visit are the mullahs and those who covet a photo opportunity.
No more, no less.